Monday, August 24, 2009

Musiq Soulchild inteview




Nyah: You’re not the first artist I have heard somewhat complaining about being called a Neo-Soul Artist. So what’s up?


Musiq: Well see, the thing is . . . it is not that I am mad about it. It is just that, what if the work that you are doing was being called something else. Like what do you call what you do?


Nyah: I am a journalist.


Musiq: OK, so what if I called you an interviewer instead of a journalist.


Nyah: Hey, watch out there now! I see what you’re saying; the difference is an interviewer just asks questions. A journalist is researching, studying, going after the story, calling people that make it happen and writing the story.


Musiq: Right, OK. Neo-Soul really is just this figure and living up to this idea. It is an act. Anybody can act like a soulful artist. I could wrap your hair up, give you a mic, sit you on stage with some throw pillows and light some candles. Now do not get me wrong, this is not a diss to anyone that is actually fresh. If that is what you do. Not to say there is anything wrong with that style. I was there at a point in my life. I have since transitioned out of that and the problem is I do not think people have recognized that. I have not worn a head wrap since the “Just Friends” video. It is not that I have a problem with neo soul; I just do not think it is an accurate label to title what it is that I do.

more of this @: http://tri-statedefenderonline.com/articlelive/articles/3811/1/Musiq-Soulchild-says-Drop-the-misconception/Page1.html


please feel free to state your opinion :)